This newly created position at the Association for Jewish Studies will be responsible for two core pieces of AJS’s portfolio—creating and disseminating all digital and offline communication needs (i.e. email, social media posts, press releases, advertising, and hard copy marketing) for our members; and for managing the administrative aspects of AJS public programs including the Distinguished Lectureship Program.
Hours per week: 32 hours (this is considered a full-time, 4 day a week position)
Salary: $49000 to $50000
Benefits include: paid vacation, sick leave, medical, vision, dental, transportation, retirement plans, life insurance
• Create overall schedule and maintain a calendar for the organization’s marketing and communications needs.
• Work with staff to generate content for regular email blasts
• Create content for social media as well as a dissemination schedule and plan for regular online engagement.
• Create content that both features the AJS’s many members as well as engages those members
• Partner with branding firm and graphic designer to maintain integrity of the newly redesigned AJS branding.
• Collaborate with AJS’s Membership and Conference Content Manager to identify new strategies for attracting individual and institutional partners.
• Work in partnership with the AJS’s webmaster in crafting and overseeing content for the website, as well as work with our graphic designer on print materials. .
Distinguished Lectureship Program Management
• Market the Distinguished Lectureship Program to a wide range of institutions, both academic and non-academic.
• Oversee all aspects of the Distinguished Lectureship Program including the execution of contracts, correspondence with speakers and host institutions, and the administration of post-lecture surveys.
• Market and oversee any new public programs as they are developed.
• Work on-site at our annual conference which occurs 4 days every year in a different city in the U.S.
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least three years of significant marketing experience, preferably in a nonprofit context
• Strong writing skills, an impeccable sense of grammar, and a close eye for detail
• A strategic thinker who can conceptualize about marketing and communications on a big picture level both vis-à-vis the entire organization as well as specific projects
• Strong social media skills, particularly Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, with demonstrable experience in growing followers and creating social media traction.
• Program administration (as a part of this position will involve not only marketing, but administering the Distinguished Lectureship program)
• Open to new ideas
• Team player who gets along well with others
• Creativity and ingenuity to create marketing strategies that will set the AJS apart from other organizations
• Self-starter who takes initiative
• Sales experience
• Tact with working and communicating with senior scholars
• Knowledge of the academic world helpful
• Knowledge of the Jewish communal landscape (JCCs, synagogues, etc) helpful
• Sense of humor
• Ability to take constructive feedback
• Can-do attitude
• Open to working on other projects as they may arise
• This role requires individuals to be able to reach, kneel, and squat; the ability to carry, push or pull up to 25 lbs.; and the ability to remain in a stationary position for 75% of the time.
About the AJS: The Association for Jewish Studies is a learned society and professional organization whose mission is to advance research and teaching in Jewish Studies at colleges, universities, and other institutions of higher learning, and to foster greater understanding of Jewish Studies scholarship among the wider public. The AJS will be celebrating its 50th anniversary starting at its annual conference to be held in Boston this December. For more information about the organization, please visit associationforjewishstudies.org
To apply: Please send a cover letter outlining your relevant experience for this position as well as indicating what you think you could bring to the organization; your resume; a writing sample (press release, email blast, brochure copy, etc) that best shows off your writing skills. Please submit these materials to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
All Member News