The deadline to apply has passed.
The Dissertation Completion Fellowships encourage the timely completion of doctorates by the most promising graduate students in the field of Jewish Studies. Only students who are in the final stages of writing their dissertations and who display clear
evidence of their ability to defend their dissertations by the end of June of the fellowship year are eligible to apply for this program.
Recipients will receive up to $25,000. The AJS Dissertation Completion Fellowships will be awarded based on merit and need. Fellowship recipients must submit evidence of any additional funding, at which point the fellowship amount may be reduced to account
for these extra funds. This fellowship will thus serve as a “top-off” grant for recipients with additional funding. Recipients without any other funding will be eligible to receive $25,000, the full amount of the award.
Deadline to Apply: November 15, 2021
- • The applicant must be completing a dissertation in the field of Jewish Studies.
- • Applicants must be members of the AJS for the membership period running from January to December 2021.
- • Applicants must have completed all requirements of the PhD except the dissertation (ABD status) by the application deadline.
- • The dissertation must be in English, although citations may be in other languages provided translations are included.
- • Recipients of a Dissertation Completion Fellowship may not receive total grant support in excess of $25,000 during their fellowship year.
- • CV
- • Dissertation Proposal
- • Dissertation Table of Contents
- • One-page timeline outlining schedule for completing and successfully defending the dissertation by June 30, 2023.
- • Two Dissertation Chapters (one of which should not be the introduction, conclusion, or literature review)
- • Two Confidential Letters of Recommendation
- • Bibliography (no more than 2 pages)
- • Confidential Institutional Progress to Degree Confirmation Form (Download)
Questions? Contact Amy Weiss at firstname.lastname@example.org