The Paula Hyman Memorial Mentoring Program invites applications for its 2022–2023 academic year cohort. The Program was established in 2014 in memory of Professor Paula Hyman (1946–2011), a pioneering scholar of Jewish history and a dedicated mentor to women in Jewish Studies.
It pairs emerging scholars with experienced mentors, while also building a strong network among the cohort through group workshops. Participants benefit from working with their mentors and from developing a peer cohort.
The program focuses on professional development for early career scholars from underrepresented genders. This can include cis women, trans women, trans men, non-binary people, and those who are otherwise marginalized for their gender identity.
Our primary programming this year will take place at an in person workshop immediately following the AJS Annual meeting on December 20–21, 2022. There will also be some informal Zoom meetings; one in the fall and two in the spring.
Additionally, Dr. Sara Ronis, an alumna of the program and member of its steering committee, will offer an optional workshop Thursday, April 7th at 12pm Central, on how to prepare a strong application to the Hyman Program. You can register for the workshop here.
• be a current AJS member for the 2022 year
• have received or will receive a PhD between January 1, 2014 and August 30, 2022
• be available to attend the in-person workshop taking place December 20–21, 2022 (after the close of the annual conference). The cost of the hotel stay for the night of December 20 and meals (dinner Tuesday, breakfast and lunch Wednesday) will be covered by the program.
Applications must include:
• Cover letter including 1) a description of current research and publications, 2) a statement about what you would like to achieve through participation in this mentorship program, and 3) optional: a list of three senior scholars in Jewish studies who might serve as mentors. They need not be in the same subfield as the applicant. (Please do not contact potential mentors. The program’s steering committee will reach out to these mentors and the Mentorship Committee often looks for matches beyond these suggestions.)
• Contact information for 2 academic references
Interfolio Application Link: https://apply.interfolio.com/104127
Application Deadline: May 16, 2022